For the fourth and remaining installment of our Women’s Wellbeing Thirty day period web site collection, we spoke with Lei Wang, MD, a rheumatologist with Dignity Overall health Woodland Clinic. Dr. Wang shares advice on popular rheumatic illnesses — which are situations that have an affect on joints, tendons, ligaments, bones, and muscular tissues.
What are some rheumatic problems women of all ages must be knowledgeable of as they age?
Dr. Wang: There are various popular rheumatic problems that can influence individuals as they age, together with polymyalgia rheumatica, giant mobile arteritis, osteoarthritis, crystal arthritis and osteoporosis. Amongst these conditions, the pursuing are far more prevalent in women, specially right after they enter menopause, close to age 55:
- Osteoarthritis is hurt to the cartilage at the end of our bones, leading to the bones within just the joint to rub with each other and deliver ache, swelling or decline of motion.
- Osteoporosis is a loss of bone mass or density, producing bones to become brittle and raising the threat for bone breakage.
What preventative steps can females just take to lessen their possibility of these ailments?
Dr. Wang: Having calcium and vitamin D health supplements, equally which are essential vitamins and minerals for bone health and fitness. Even girls in their early teens really should get enough calcium in their eating plan to reduce osteoporosis later in life.
Healthy lifestyle routines can enable cut down the threat of acquiring rheumatic disorders, as perfectly as contribute to general fantastic health which includes:
- Sustaining a nutritious bodyweight
- Incorporating work out into every day exercise (aerobic work out, excess weight-bearing and resistance physical exercises)
- Quitting or keeping away from using tobacco cigarettes
- Restricting liquor intake
- Taking away probable risks from the property to protect against falls or harm
Often, osteoporosis signs and symptoms are not apparent, producing screening particularly essential as we age. The faster osteoporosis is detected, the sooner life-style improvements can be executed that can greatly reduce the danger of fractures. Women of all ages who are postmenopausal and gals in excess of 65 years aged should really be screened for osteoporosis each year. If you recognize a loss of height, stooped posture, small back discomfort, or an conveniently broken bone, you should discuss to your physician about screening.
Speak to your main treatment physician or rheumatologist to focus on and agenda yearly screenings, or seek the advice of our “Uncover a Medical doctor” software to uncover a Dignity Wellbeing medical doctor in close proximity to you.
Health and Fitness Gift Baskets Perfect For That Active Retiree
Fertility Acupuncture: Foods for Fertility
Cure Sexual Problems With Electronic Acupuncture