There are many natural ways to get rid of arthritis and joint pain problem. Here in this article we will emphasize on some of the natural and easy ways to get relief from arthritis and joint pain, stiffness and inflammation.
1. Alteration of life style is a simple way to treat arthritis. One should keep away from sedentary life style. The affected joints should not be left idle, for that will worsen the problem of joint stiffness and swelling. The patient therefore is always asked to keep the ailing joints mobile through light physical exercises which may include simple stretching and range of motion exercises, walking, swimming and cycling. However strenuous exercises, high impact activities, games that involve repetitive movements, running, jumping and hopping are to be strictly avoided. Such high impact activities would cause further damage to the worn out joints. In other words the patient should keep active to the extent he or she can tolerate.
2. Wearing of braces and splints provides external support to ailing joints and checks further wear and tear and increased incidence of joint pain at the end of day to day activities. The patient is required to change positions frequently while lying or sitting. This will tackle the problem of inflexibility and joint stiffness. While lying, the patient may elevate the affected joint with the help of pillows. This will drain out the extra fluid from the joint and thus reduce swelling.
3. Smoking, alcohol and caffeine intake should be cut down. These habits build up stress on body tissues, and increase the arthritis pain. Also the patient must keep the body weight in check. This can be done by means of exercise, yoga, dieting. Yoga and breathing exercises may also be done for relaxing one’s mind and de-stressing oneself.
4. Dietary changes also help to suppress arthritic symptoms. Alkaline diet is beneficial for arthritis patients. Fresh leafy vegetables, fruits, juices of raw vegetables, food rich in omega3 fatty acids are recommended for arthritis patients. Sweet water fishes like salmon, herring, sardines are perfect examples of food items rich in omega3 acids. In other words, a balanced nutritional diet is essential. Junk food, refined food, beef, pork, meat are to be avoided. Beef and pork raise uric acid levels in body, and thereby increase the risk of gout.
5. Massage therapy is one way of controlling pain, stiffness and swelling. Massage gives a boost to the blood circulation, relaxes muscles around the joint, making them supple. Rumatone Gold massage oil, capsaicin creams, and arnica oils are good for massaging arthritic joints. One can also use homemade massage ointments and oil. Hot vinegar, heated castor oil, camphorated mustard oil, warm olive oil, essential oils like that of lavender, eucalyptus, basil added to any carrier oil, even hot paraffin are highly beneficial for rubbing on painful joints.
6. Some simple home remedies like giving warm bath to ailing joints by mixing Epsom salt to bath water, application of hot and cold compresses alternately, rubbing freshly cut cloves of garlic on joints, applying turmeric paste or crushed leaves of white willow as poultice, rubbing ice cubes wrapped in fabric on joints, can bring much relief from pain and swelling.